Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Windows 7 Printing to Mountain Lion Problem Resolved

I spent about 2 days trying to get my Windows 7 Machine to print on a Mountain Lion Mac.  I did the usual things like 
  1. turning on the printer sharing in the System Preferences
  2. turning off the firewalls, 
  3. verifying connectivity, (tracert, ping, nslookup) 
  4. using the windows 7 printer setup and trying 
    1. browsing for the printer (nothing would show)
    2. typing the IP address
    3. typing the host name
    4. typing the full name i.e. \\host\printer
but no matter what I tried, the windows 7 machine would not see the printer.
In the end, I realized that I needed to 
  1. install Bonjour (apple's "zero configuration" networking utility) on the Windows 7 machine 
  2. run the Bonjour printer wizard and connect it to the mac's shared printer,
  3. That's it! Printer installed and working.
Hope that saves someone else some grief!!

No comments:

Post a Comment